grouper-users - [grouper-users] v2.2.0 -> v2.2.1 upgrade experience

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] v2.2.0 -> v2.2.1 upgrade experience

  • From: Andrew Morgan <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] v2.2.0 -> v2.2.1 upgrade experience
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 16:28:34 -0800 (PST)

We are running Grouper on MySQL with innoDB. We have a fairly large number of groups (126426) and memberships (678334).

I used the new installer to upgrade from v2.2.0 to v2.2.1. Some of the upgrade steps were extremely slow, and the whole process took about 3 days.

The "Checking API database version" step was slow. I watched the database queries it was executing and noticed the following long-running queries:

COMMAND: Query
TIME: 236
STATE: Copying to tmp table
INFO: select count(*) from grouper_attr_def_priv_v

COMMAND: Query
TIME: 1326
STATE: Copying to tmp table
INFO: select count(*) from grouper_groups_v

COMMAND: Query
TIME: 449
STATE: Sorting result
INFO: select count(*) from grouper_rpt_group_field_v

I'm not sure why the upgrader is running these queries, but they took a while to run. You can see a snapshot of the query times above. TIME is in seconds. After a couple hours, that finished. Why is it getting a count of rows in the views?

Then the upgrader generated a DDL script, then asked me to review it and run it. I told the upgrader to run it, which ended up taking FOREVER. Well, 2 days. :)

I found out that MySQL isn't too smart about dropping foreign key constraints:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21092369/mysql-dropping-a-foreign-key-constraint-on-an-innodb-table

I think it does something similar when creating a foreign key constraint because that part of the DDL took a long time too. It generated a huge amount of I/O on the database server by copying all those tables, multiple times for some of them!

In hindsight, I don't see any reason for the DDL to drop and recreate the foreign keys. Was there a reason the upgrade did that?

I have attached the DDL script it generated and ran.

Otherwise, the upgrader worked well to automate the upgrade steps.

Thanks,
Andy

  • [grouper-users] v2.2.0 -> v2.2.1 upgrade experience, Andrew Morgan, 11/25/2014