grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] url, demo version of new Grouper UI

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] url, demo version of new Grouper UI

  • From: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Steve Carmody <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] url, demo version of new Grouper UI
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:36:47 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

So,

continuing with the theme of me being stupid… (here come the grenades - stop,
i am the first to admit i am stupid)

i can now login to the demo grouper with the new UI. i want to create a new
folder at the top level, named ‘CMU’. I am assuming I have such permissions
given this is a playground. I attempt to do so and I am getting no error
message indicating I don’t have such permissions.

Here are my steps:

upper left, next to “Create new group" drop down, select “Create new folder”

New Folder dialog presented.

I enter Root in “Create in this folder”
Folder name = CMU
Folder ID = CMU (why can’t this just default to folder name - seems this is
rarely ever changed - maybe could be hidden by default, it’s confusing to
mortals)

Before I click save the “Create” box is red indicating a problem where I
entered Root. No error. click on exclamation. “The value entered is not
valid”. WHY? I click on the “search for …” link. I get the sexy drop-down
dialog to search. I click search with empty box. hmmm. must enter at least
2 chars. i type ‘roo’ - read letters indicating No folders found (as they
are just red letters, would this be ADA compliant? no “error: “ or other
clear indication of an error?). I try various other things… test, *, users,
all sorts of stuff and i am stuck. so i click close.

i then click Save (with Root in the Create box) and I get “Error: Cannot find
parent folder. Select a folder from the comboxbox results.” what’s a
combobox?

I try other folder names here as well with similar results. I could go on.

i can’t do anything and i don’t know why. i can guess i don’t have
permissions but as a mortal i would conclude this application isn’t useful to
me.

I’m happy to place all this in a ticket if need be but I suspect there are
multiple issues being described here.

/mrg

On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Michael Gettes