grouper-users - [grouper-users] description generated for external users

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] description generated for external users

  • From: Peter DiCamillo <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] description generated for external users
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:28:56 -0500

I'm having a problem with the descriptions generated for external users. In grouper.properties, there is this expression for generating the description:

externalSubjects.desc.el = [unverifiedInfo]
${grouperUtil.appendIfNotBlankString(externalSubject.name, ' - ',
externalSubject.institution)} [externalUserID] ${externalSubject.identifier}

That expression seems to work fine when the institution was specified on the registration screen. However, if the institution is left empty on the form, the term ${grouperUtil.appendIfNotBlankString(externalSubject.name, ' - ', externalSubject.institution)} doesn't work as intended. Instead of evaluating to just the subject name, it comes out in the description as "null". For example, a description like this:

[unverifiedInfo] null [externalUserID]

is a direct member

I tried a few possibilities for fixing this, but always got "null".

Peter