grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Experience with Grouper external user support?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Experience with Grouper external user support?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Peter DiCamillo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Experience with Grouper external user support?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:50:11 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Penn uses it, and ...

We have an application for collaboration that researchers use. It requires
EPPN. Some people have problems signing up for it. I think it is more that
external users are difficult manage, though maybe Grouper's implementation of
external users could use some tweaks.

Users need to either:

a. click on the invite link
b. register with Grouper
c. go to the application

-or-

a. click on the invite link
b. try to register with Grouper
c. see that their institution is not there, or EPPN isn't sent by default
d. register with ProtectNetwork or have their IDM team release EPPN (well, I
don't know if that has happened yet). Note, if you register with
ProtectNetwork, you have to confirm with an email link (3 links involved for
this flow... confuses people)
e. click on the invite link
f. register with Grouper
g. go to the application

1. Invites expire in a week (this is configurable), might want to bump that
up from the default, multiple times invitees have let it expire and then need
to get in. btw, whoever supports the app should set this in the
media.properties so they know if they can resend the invite etc

#if admins should be emailed after each action, put comma separated addresses
here
externalMembers.emailAdminsAddressesAfterActions =

2. I think if somehow groups or folders could have an attribute that had the
application URL, which would included in the invite email for those groups,
that could make the invite process easier, the inviters don't always give
that to the invitees... or even better if after they register it sends them
to the app they are signing up for, or puts a link on the screen.

Overall it seems fine though

On Behalf Of Peter DiCamillo