grouper-users - [grouper-users] grouper ldap loader and performance

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] grouper ldap loader and performance

  • From: Rahul Doshi <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] grouper ldap loader and performance
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:33:21 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

We have a use case where we need to load about 3000 ldap groups with roughly 125k membership into grouper.  Members of the group by default should have read privilege to the group and non-members just view.  To achieve this  first I tried to implement a custom EL class that would assign a read privilege to the group itself.  For example somestem:somegroup has read privilege to somestem:somegroup.  This worked but links like My memberships and Manage Groups took really long time in grouper UI.  So next I tried to implement membershipPostCommitAddMember method of the MembershipHooks which would just grant read privilege directly to the subject that is added.  This improved performance considerably but still it takes about 25 seconds for My membership link to return.  I believe I am seeing improved but still bad performance because I didn't completely  eliminate nested membership as we have lot of nested groups so my custom membership hook will still assign read privilege at the group level.

Am I taking the right approach to achieve what I want?  Is there something simpler that can be done and not have performance problems?

Thanks,
Rahul