grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] eduMember objectclass definition

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] eduMember objectclass definition

  • From: Keith Hazelton <>
  • To: "Klug, Lawrence" <>, "" <>
  • Cc: mace-dir <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] eduMember objectclass definition
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:10:39 -0500

Lawrence,

Sometimes coincidence is spooky. I just had an exchange of emails with Tom
Zeller about this issue earlier today, and it was the first time I had
thought about it in a long time.

We could revive that draft, which is still on the shelf, though a little
dusty. There are counter-arguments having to do with the need to support both
eduIsMemberOf and isMemberOf, and distinguish them with different OIDs. I'd
like to see a little discussion on the Grouper and MACE-Dir mailing lists
before going ahead.

One perhaps naive starter question from me: Since the isMemberOf attribute
has a unique OID, 1.3.6.1.4.1.5923.1.5.1.1, does it really matter what name
you associate with it in your LDAP schema? I believe that you could give it a
custom name in your directory, and as long as the OID is as above, nothing
bad happens. If you are expressing group memberships in federated contexts,
then there is a SAML profile for how to do this. Again, no impact on your
internal directory schema. Am I missing something?

--Keith

-----
On the eduMember object class and the isMemberOf and hasMember attributes,
see:

http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/docs/internet2-mace-dir-ldap-group-membership-200507.html
and
http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/docs/internet2-mace-dir-group-membership-200507.html
______________
On 06/05/12, "Klug, Lawrence" wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We recently upgraded to OUD for our enterprise directory. Unfortunately,
> the eduMember attribute isMemberOf has name conflict with a system
> attribute name. Our workaround has been a custom objectclass.
>

> I&#8217;m wondering if others in the community have faced this issue and
> what solutions they have used.
>
> There was a new draft on eduMember some time ago where this issue is
> addressed.
>
> isMemberOf changes name to eduIsMemberOf and hasMember changes name to
> eduHasMember.
>
> https://spaces.internet2.edu/download/attachments/2309/eduMember-201108-draft-00.html
>
> Has this been finalized?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Lawrence Klug
>
> IMS Platform Development
>
> 310 825-2061
>
> ext 52061
begin:vcard
n:HAZELTON;KEITH;;;
fn:KEITH D HAZELTON
tel;work:608 262-0771
org:University of Wisconsin-Madison;DoIT
adr:;;1210 W. Dayton St.;Madison;WI;53706;US
email;work;internet:
title:Sr. IT Architect
version:2.1
end:vcard