grouper-users - [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Web Services

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] RE: Grouper Web Services

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "Klug, Lawrence" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Web Services
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:43:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I personally only have one app per tomcat, so the answer is no.  I think the tomcat overhead is small, if you organize multiple tomcats (directories/ports/CATALINA_BASE) it is easy to manage, so I don’t know why you would want to share a tomcat.

Disadvantages of sharing a tomcat (maybe this is based on old tomcat versions and things are different now):

1.       One app could run out of memory and affect the entire tomcat bringing down both apps (not sure if this is the same for CPU as well, its possible)

2.       If you hot deploy, there could be a memory leak and affect both apps

3.       If you need to bounce an application (i.e. the tomcat), it affects both apps

4.       You can fine tune how much memory each application gets by only letting the tomcat get that much

5.       Regarding CPU, for some reason in our env each java process (and thus tomcat process) only uses one virtual CPU at a time, so if two applications are being used at once, we get better performance with multiple tomcats/CPUs.  I think other people might have a better experience than this though where one Java process can use multiple [virtual] CPUs at once?