grouper-users - [grouper-users] Grouper database capacity estimation

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Grouper database capacity estimation

  • From: Nathan Kopp <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Grouper database capacity estimation
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:10:10 -0400

We are preparing to go live with our first deployment of Grouper (1.6.3) on an Oracle 11g database with OID LDAP.

Does anyone have experience with estimating the database capacity required for Grouper?  I’m looking for a formula something like this:

Usage = A * #groups + B * #users + C * #memberships + D * #operations + baseline

#groups = number of groups stored in grouper

#users = number of users that are involved in memberships

#memberships = total memberships across all groups

#operations = operations (due to the change log)

I assume that grouper stores an internal “subject” for each user that is assigned to a group, but if a user is never assigned to a group they do not get a row.

My assumption is that required capacity will always increase over time as the #operations increases due to the changelog.

Also, does Grouper actually delete groups, memberships, and subjects from the database or does it only mark such items as deleted?

Thanks much for any help anyone can offer in this area.  I can, of course, run some test of my own to try to produce these estimates.  However, I decided to ask just in case someone else has already done this work and could share their results.  If nobody has, I will do this and then let you know what I find.

Nathan Kopp

Application Strategist

Office 407-826-2939  Mobile 407-484-8485

cru

technology

Campus Crusade for Christ, Inc.