grouper-users - [grouper-users] RE: Explanation of attributes

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] RE: Explanation of attributes

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Nathan Kopp <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Explanation of attributes
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 15:05:47 -0400

I added this to the docs… let me know if you need more info:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+attribute+framework

Attribute definition (attributeDef):

An attribute definition holds the type of attribute (attribute, permission, limit, etc), privileges (who can assign or see assignments), restrictions about where it can be assigned (e.g. which folder), which owner types it can be assigned to (e.g. group, folder, etc), which type of value (e.g. text, numeric, etc), if it is multi-valued, if it can be assigned to the same owner object more than once at a time, etc.  For permissions, this also holds which actions (in the triple) are available for this permission (e.g. READ, WRITE, ADMIN, etc)

Attribute definition name (attributeDefName):

An attribute definition name has a many-to-one relationship to attributeDef.  This is the thing that is assigned to the owner.  It is similar to a list-of-values for the attribute.  You cannot assign an attribute without having an attributeDefName.  This allows you to share common settings among multiple attributes without having to reconfigure each value.  You might have only one attributeDefName for an attributeDef, but generally you will have more than 1.

Attribute assignment:

This is the relationship between the owner (e.g. Group, Folder), and the attributeDefName.  This might have a start/end timestamp, and other metadata (e.g. for permissions if it is delegatable, if it is allowed or forbidden, etc)

Attribute assignment value:

If an attributeDef is not of value type 'marker', then it can have a value, or multiple values (of the same type) if the attributeDef is labeled as multi-valued.  The attribute assign value is a many to one on the attribute assignment.  The value can have a type (e.g. text, integer, floating, timestamp, etc), and at some point it would be nice if it had the capability to have validations (e.g. a regex).