grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] LDAPPC not populating group memberships in OpenLDAP

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] LDAPPC not populating group memberships in OpenLDAP

  • From: Mark Cairney <>
  • To: Rob Hebron <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] LDAPPC not populating group memberships in OpenLDAP
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:38:58 +0000

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately I'm using LDAPPC on Grouper 1.5.3. I
don't think upgrading is an option at the moment although it's good tk know
that it's known to work with LDAPPC-NG on 1.6.

The source.xml file looks like a good place for me to start though.

Kind regards,

Mark

On 24 Jan 2011, at 10:04, Rob Hebron wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I've had success with syncing groups to OpenLDAP in a "bushy" structure
> using LDAPPC-NG with grouper 1.6, so don't give up! My config files which
> work against a vanilla OpenLDAP installation with no schema extensions are
> at:
>
> https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Book+-+LDAPPC-NG
>
> If I remember correctly I found that the subject source in
> ldappc-resolver.xml has to equal the subject source in sources.xml (drre in
> members-jdbc in the example I posted) so that they can be identified in
> Grouper, and the subjects have to be present in the directory (although a
> JIRA has been opened for these to be added automatically if missing).
>
> Hope this helps. If you're still having problems I'll be able to check
> things out further this evening.
>
> Rob
>
> On 24/01/11 09:49, Mark Cairney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently started looking at using LDAPPC to push Grouper's groups
>> into our OpenLDAP directory.
>> So far I've been using a ldappc.xml almost identical to the one on the
>> wiki page at:
>>
>> https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/LDAPPC
>>
>> Using a flat structure this appears to create the groupOfNames objects in
>> OpenLDAP but there are no members. What configuration settings do I have
>> to change to get this to work? Is it dependent on my OpenLDAP schema?
>>
>> Finally I'd like to get a nested structure in OpenLDAP but if I change
>> "flat" to "bushy" it fails instantly complaining that the OU doesn't
>> exist. I notice that this is only set in the AD example. Does this mean it
>> isn't supported in OpenLDAP?
>>
>> Apologies for the rather elementary questions.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> My ldappc.xml is listed below:
>>
>> <ldappc>
>> <grouper>
>> <group-queries>
>>
>> <subordinate-stem-queries>
>> <stem-list>
>> <stem>org</stem>
>> </stem-list>
>> </subordinate-stem-queries>
>>
>> <attribute-matching-queries>
>> <attribute-list>
>> <attribute name="_attr_name_" value="_attr_value_" />
>> </attribute-list>
>> </attribute-matching-queries>
>>
>> </group-queries>
>>
>> <groups
>> structure="flat"
>> root-dn="ou=grouper,${edu.vt.middleware.ldap.base}"
>> ldap-object-class="groupOfNames"
>> ldap-rdn-attribute="cn"
>> grouper-attribute="name">
>>
>> <group-members-dn-list list-object-class="groupOfNames"
>> list-attribute="me
>> mber" list-empty-value="" />
>>
>> <group-members-name-list list-object-class="eduMember"
>> list-attribute="has
>> Member">
>> <source-subject-name-mapping>
> [...]

Mark Cairney
ITI UNIX Section
Information Services
University of Edinburgh

Tel: 0131 650 6565
Email:

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.