grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Group UI ADA Compliant?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Group UI ADA Compliant?

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Eileen Roach <>,
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Group UI ADA Compliant?
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:46:45 +0100

Several years ago I did go to some effort to make the UI accessible. Since then things will have slipped - mostly because no-one was asking about accessibility, standards have moved on, and we don't routinely check.

I've just run a couple of pages through 'Total Validator' and it is coming up with some HTML errors and:

WCAG v2 A Errors

E866 - 5 instance(s): Use the 'title' attribute to label form controls when the visual design cannot accommodate the label (for example, if there is no text on the screen that can be identified as a label) or where it might be confusing to display a label. User agents, including assistive technology, can speak the 'title' attribute. See http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H65.html (displayed in new window)

E899 - 5 instance(s): If you have different links with the same link text and 'title' it can be confusing to the user. So you should either change the link text or add a unique 'title' to each link. See http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/navigation-mechanisms-refs.html (displayed in new window)
WCAG v2 A Warnings

W865 - 1 instance(s): The first element inside the <fieldset> should be a <legend>, which provides a label or instructions for the group. See http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H71.html (displayed in new window)

So we clearly wouldn't pass 100%, but we will aim to pass in future.

More recently we have added some new features - the 'Lite UI' - which use AJAX and these do not decline gracefully if JavaScript is disabled. I'm not at all sure how they would work with a screen reader. Currently there are a few features which are only available via AJAX e.g. setting start/end dates for memberships. In principle, the 'old' UI should allow you to achieve the same results as the newer UI, however, it is more difficult to ensure that they will keep in step.

Accessibility compliance is something we should discuss on our working group call - though I'll miss the next one as I'll be on vacation.

It is perfectly possible to build alternative UIs using the Java API or web services and a number of institutions have taken this approach to provide simplified end user interfaces.

Gary

--On 30 June 2010 13:50 -0400 Chris Hyzer

I don't think it has ever been tested with a screen reader or validated
with ADA validators, so I think the answer is no (someone can correct me
if wrong). What standards are you interested in?

On Behalf Of Eileen Roach