grouper-users - RE: [grouper-dev] RE: [grouper-users] Grouper v1.6.0 released

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-dev] RE: [grouper-users] Grouper v1.6.0 released

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Jim Fox <>
  • Cc: Tom Barton <>, "" <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] RE: [grouper-users] Grouper v1.6.0 released
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:09:25 -0400

> I've not experienced this problem in our testing, and I'm a direct member
> of about 100 of
> our 40K+ groups. Many of those are in turn members of other groups.

Just curious, are you a wheel group member? That one is a lot faster when
checking privileges.

> 1) They don't scale.
>
> It is abhorrent to me that a few users, adding a couple of group
> members to their groups, might cause a million database records to
> be created. In addition this new table will slow down the addition
> and deletion of members. And this is exactly where, for us, grouper
> has its greatest performance issues.

FYI this is done in a daemon process in the background, and the performance
is tuned to leverage the logic in the unflattened table, so it is definitely
faster than it was in 1.4. I think it would only cause a million database
records if you have a million groups and add someone to all (or someone to
have privileges on all). I'd be interested to know if you have a user added
to an admin group which is an admin of 10's of thousand of groups, or even
hundreds of thousands, how long that would take to propagate to the flattened
table.

> 3) They can't be implemented in a federated world.
>
> Our clients know that members of groups can be of several
> types: our own uwnetids; ePPNs from other sites; dns domains,
> i.e. certificate CNs; Active Directory computer names; and other
> groups in the registry. I can see a federated future where we
> have groups with members that are groups from a remote registry,
> say, UPenn. That is not so far-fetched as you might think,
> and it shows just how 20th century are flattened memberships.

Im not sure how federated groups affect flattened memberships. The flattened
table is just built on a query from a view in grouper... if the rows aren't
in the view, then they wont work with the API in unflattened mode either. If
we need a resolver in grouper to resolve external groups or dynamic groups,
then other logic will change in grouper and it wont be any different if we
use flattened or not.

> > Another case if you have a lot of web service hits and the data
> > doesn't need to be up to date (flattened should be a few minutes
> > behind), then we will put a mode in where the request can go against
> > the flattened tables, and this will help the DB load.
>
> This is what the subordinate directories are for.

Well, not all queries can go against subordinate directories... when
centralized permissions are used it might be too complex of a data model for
directories I believe. With groups, getting the members of a group is easy
enough. Some queries against directories right now require web services
depending on how you deploy them. i.e. give me the groups of a user that I
am allowed to READ... does your directory handle that? mine doesn't and I
think most do not.

Anyways, your concerns are noted, we need to make sure performance is
acceptable and discuss this further obviously... :)

Thanks!