grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Host setup and configuration

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Host setup and configuration

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: "Imholz, John J." <>, "''" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Host setup and configuration
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:47:46 +0100

Hi John,

Some responses below.

Gary

--On 12 April 2010 15:03 -0400 "Imholz, John J."

I've got an initial setup of grouper for our institution (at least the
command line interface is working.) My host machine is Ubuntu, the
database is SQL Server.

While I've seen a few "getting started" docs on-line (which have been
very helpful,) I haven't come across anything that indicates any best
practices for the server configuration/administration.

I'm looking for advice on what to put where.

For example, I've set up a SVN working copy of:
http://anonsvn.internet2.edu/svn/i2mi/branches/GROUPER_1_5_BRANCH in
/usr/local/grouper

Example questions:

Is that a good idea?
Looks OK. You could checkout to a grouper_<version> dir and sym link /usr/local/grouper to there.

Should I have just svn exported the repo into /usr/lib/tomcat/webapps ?
No. In general you should configure and build somewhere else

Should I symbolic link the UI into /usr/lib/tomcat/webapps ?
That isn't necessary. You can build a WAR file and drop it there, otherwise, if you are building and deploying on the same system and there aren't permission issues you can set 'deploy.context.dir' in the ui build.properties and the build will copy a context.xml to that directory - it will contain a pointer back to where you built (assuming 'default' build) the UI. On Windows I have 'c:/Tomcat_5-5/conf/Catalina/localhost'. I'm not sure where that will map to on Ubuntu.

How will I deal with upodates in the repo, since I have to modify some of
them? Maybe files that will be edited at implementation shouldn't be in
the repo only templates (*.tmplate) of them?
In general you should not have to modify versioned files. The first time you build, template / example files are copied. They won't be overwritten in subsequent builds but you have to manage adding any new required properties

There are instructions at <https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Customising+the+Grouper+UI> for how to customise the UI without modifying files. The QuickStart demonstrates some of the techniques available.

Did I miss a guide that might help me with this setup? (while there is
an "Overview" it's an overview of the directory structure within Grouper,
not how that should be put on the server.)
<https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/UI+Installation> has brief instructions

I should note that my unfamiliarity of Java/Tomcat may be what's causing
some of my confusion.
We do assume a working knowledge of Tomcat - or other application server

jji

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing