grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Group management lite UI

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Group management lite UI

  • From: Niels van Dijk <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Group management lite UI
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:52:43 +0200

Hi Chris,

Just for your info, we are currently working on a php based UI for
grouper, based on the WS's grouper provides.

Some comments on the page:
- How many groups do you assume a user has? How many uses will a group
have? Some of the features you propose seem a bit tricky if you have
say, several 1000's of users and a equivelent number of groups.
- What do you mean with 'Will not (at least initially) have information
about immediate/effective, will be simple'?
- 'Externalized text' will allow for translations?
- the ability to filter the user list is required if the number of users
is large
- Why introduce new, undocumented WS and not just use the ones already
there? If you feel these are currently not sufficient, would it not be a
better idea to fix that problem (so fix the ws's)?

One feature that seems to be missing for me is the ability to provide
federated authentication as a basis for login into the gui.

regards,
Niels

--
Niels van Dijk
Advanced Services

T: +31 302 305 337 / M: +31 651 347 657
SURFnet - PO Box 19035 - NL-3501 DA Utrecht - The Netherlands -

http://www.surfnet.nl
SURFnet grensverleggend netwerk voor hoger onderwijs en onderzoek