grouper-users - Problem with GrouperClient GcFindGroups group math?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Problem with GrouperClient GcFindGroups group math?

  • From: Paul Gazda <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Problem with GrouperClient GcFindGroups group math?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:25:21 -0700

I am using the GcFindGroups class from the latest CVS HEAD of GrouperClient 1.4.1 with queryFilterType of AND|OR. Unless I am misunderstanding the explanations in the Grouper glossary (https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Glossary), it looks like the AND and OR results are cross-wired. According to the glossary, “OR” implies union and “AND” implies intersection:

*       union - all subjects must be a member of one OR the other factor group,
e.g., Group Z = members of either Group X
OR Group Y, or Z = X U Y.

*       intersection - all subjects that are members of the first factor group AND the second factor group,
e.g., Group Z = members of both Group X
AND Group Y, or Z = X ∩ Y.

When I do an “AND” search with GcFindGroups, I am getting all subjects who are in either of the results from WsQueryFilter0 and WsQueryFilter1 (union). When I do an “OR” search, I get only subjects who are in both results from WsQueryFilter0 and WsQueryFilter1 (intersection). This seems exactly opposite from what I would expect from the glossary definitions.

Paul Gazda