grouper-users - Question about read privileges

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Question about read privileges

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Question about read privileges
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:15:51 -0400

Hi all,

I've run into an issue that I'm wonder if anyone else has experienced. If so, how have you resolved it?

One of our uses of Grouper is to store course information. We have 3 groups for every course (TA, instructor, and student groups). We would like for a way for others (potentially anyone) to be able to add these course groups as members to their own groups, but since the enrollment information may not be public, we don't want users to see the members of the course groups in Grouper. So what we can do is give GrouperAll list privileges to all the course groups, but not read privileges. This allows users to see the course groups, but not their members, and add the course groups as members to their own groups.

However, when you add the course group as a member to your own group, you can see the members of the course group by looking at the effective members of your group. Would it make sense to have an option in the UI and WS that prevents seeing effective memberships if you don't have read access to those groups? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks!

-- Shilen

  • Question about read privileges, Shilen Patel, 09/12/2008