grouper-users - Rather General LDAP Questions

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Rather General LDAP Questions

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Rather General LDAP Questions
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:33:15 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,

I am new to this area and have a couple of questions, which I hope are not
too off-topic. I am in a university context setting up an LDAP server into
which I want to export information for grouper.

The first questions concerns the base DN format. Is there a specific
technical reason (other than if you are using Active Directory) why one would
prefer DNS format "dc=fu-berlin,dc=de" over the X.500
format, "o=fu-berlin,c=de"? The former is sometimes described as "more
flexible" and the later as somehow old-fashioned, but I haven't found a more
exact description of the pros and cons.

The other question is whether, instead of using "ou=people", one could use
"ou=accounts" in the sense of login names, instead. The thinking behind this
is that, because individuals can have multiple accounts with different
privileges, it would allow for easier administration of separation of
privileges. On the other hand, should I be thinking about Signet for this?

TIA for any advice

Loris Bennett