grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Thoughts on a very large group?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Thoughts on a very large group?

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Joy Veronneau <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Thoughts on a very large group?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:56:50 -0600

Joy Veronneau wrote:

Ldappc dies at about the 90,000th hasmember entry of cu.alumni, so we came up with the idea to populate cu.alumni in our directory via just a program that uses jndi. This also croaks at about 90,000, so we load the group in chunks now, and that seems to work ok. (We turned off replication while we did the add.) We think the problem is some memory limit in jndi? but anyway...

Once we got cu.alumni loaded into the directory, we tried a sample query to see if someone is a member of the group, using a filter something like (&(cn=cu.alumni)(hasmember=jv11)). Works fine for all groups but for cu.alumni, it takes a really long time.

Is the directory server performing adequately ?

For grins, I used jndi (we don't use ldappc) to load a group with 200,000 members in one ldap add command to our newish RedHat directory servers. Building the jndi attribute took a few minutes, and the ldap add a few seconds. We are not using referential integrity on the member attribute. A search similar to yours above completed in seconds, with both attributes indexed.

Tom