grouper-users - hello from newcastle

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

hello from newcastle

  • From: "caleb racey" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: hello from newcastle
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:11:41 +0100

Hello from the Gfivo project in Newcastle University in the UK

I met some of the community at the internet2 CAMPs in Portland but for
those that don't know we are engaged in a 2 year project to examine the
use of "grouper to support federated identity in virtual organisations".
What that means is we are looking at ways of using grouper to enable
research groups to have community blogs, wikis, mailing lists etc to
support communication. The federated identity bit means that these
groups can be made up of members from multiple institutes; we will be
using our shibboleth infrastructure to support this use case. The
project is jointly funded by JISC and institutional contribution from
Newcastle University.

We are just starting out with our grouper install and setting it up with
data relevant to our institute. We are having performance issue like
others have reported but will post about them later.

For those wishing to know more the project website is at
http://gfivo.ncl.ac.uk we plan on using blogs and news feeds to
provide regular updates to the site. We will also be posting to the
grouper mailing list and contributing to the wiki. Now we eventually
have the ability to use skype we will also be participating in the DEV
conferences calls.

Looking forward to the next 2 years

Cal Racey
Gfivo project