grouper-users - A day in the life of MACE Grouper 1.2 rc1

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

A day in the life of MACE Grouper 1.2 rc1

  • From: "Cramton, James" <>
  • To: "Grouper Users" <>
  • Subject: A day in the life of MACE Grouper 1.2 rc1
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:21:30 -0400

I spent the day working with MACE Grouper 1.2 release candidate 1. Is
anyone else working with rc1 yet?

For context, Brown is using Apache with ldap authentication passed to
Tomcat, with an Oracle 10g DB and SunOne LDAP person source and JDK 1.5.

I found 2 issues along the way, and as of this evening, 1 of these has
me in a holding pattern till I can investigate further.

1. [worked around]
The UI build fails due to an unresolved symbol, HibernateDAO. I see
that the class exists in the release, but the
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperHelper class can't identify the
object referenced. I noted what may be an inadvertent cvs checkin of
the offending code in GrouperHelper.java v. 1.29, so I commented out the
method again, and the UI apparently builds fine without it. However, Tom
pointed out that this is probably not the right solution in the long
run. The error looks like this:

-compileGrouper:
[javac] Compiling 2 source files to
/opt/local/mace/grouper/mace_grouper_1_2_rc1/dist/grouper/WEB-INF/classe
[javac]
/opt/local/mace/grouper/mace_grouper_1_2_rc1/grouper-ui-1.2.0-rc1/java/s
rc/edu/internet2/middleware/grouper/GrouperHelper.java:2780: cannot find
symbol
[javac] symbol : variable HibernateDAO
[javac] location: class
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperHelper
[javac] Session hs = HibernateDAO.getSession();
[javac] ^
[javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
[javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
[javac] 1 error

The build proceeds if you comment out the "query" method around line
2780 of GrouperHelper.java.

2. [currently still working on this]
Once the app is built and deployed, I can't create and populate the
wheel group because gsh is incompatible with version 1.2 at this time. I
haven't begun to look into what it will take to bring gsh into the 1.2
world, so I may revert to local user authentication via Tomcat to create
the wheel group manually for now.

So at the end of the day, we're still running version 1.1, although
we're running for the first time on our QA hardware. Tonight, we're
starting a provisioning run to populate about 11,000 groups into MACE
Grouper. I'll report performance benchmarks when we have results.

I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have on how to create a wheel
group in Grouper 1.2. I'd also like to hear recommended upgrade
strategies down the road...right now, we can destroy data at will, and
redeploy the entire application and schema within minutes. But once
we're in production, we'll of course need a more robust version upgrade
strategy. I'm sure folks have already been working along these lines,
but I wanted to get the questions out into circulation.

James Cramton
Lead Programmer/Analyst
Brown University

401 863-7324