grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Problem with the UI

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Problem with the UI

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Steve Lemons <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Problem with the UI
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:19:06 +0100

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure why you are getting the error, but it appears to be occurring when the welcome message is rendered - although the message should appear at the top of the page this is achieved through CSS and is actually one of the last things to be rendered.

The error occurs in /WEB-INF/jsp/subjectView.jsp - which is used widely in different contexts:

<c:if test="${viewObject.isGroup}">[</c:if><c:if test="${empty inLink}"><span class="<c:out value="${viewObject.subjectType}"/>Subject"></c:if><c:out value="${viewObject.desc}" /><c:if test="${empty inLink}"></span></c:if><c:if test="${viewObject.isGroup}">]</c:if>

viewObject is, in this case, a Map which wraps a Subject instance which represents the authenticated user. At a guess viewObject is actually null (wouldn't really make sense), or one of the 'methods' is throwing an Exception.

Are you using QuickStart users or have you configured your own Subject Source - and if so how are they set up?

You could try and pin down the problem by modifying subjectView.jsp e.g. replace above with <c:out value="${viewObject.name}"/> - or change 'name' for an attribute you know to be present. If this works, you can change the attribute for: isGroup, subjectType and desc and see if it fails on one of those - desc would map to description.

Regards,

Gary

--On 30 August 2006 16:59 -0400 Steve Lemons

I trying to get the UI up and running and I'm hitting an interesting
problem. I'm just trying to setup the UI on my laptop using basic
tomcat authentication. I can authenticate to grouper UI and get the "My
Membership" page loading. But the "My Membership" page never finishes
exception is thrown. See stacktrace below.

It doesn't seem to matter which page it is, except for the welcome page,
I get the exception at the end of the page load. I've been able to get
enough of the "My Membership" page loaded to click on one of the group
links to see that the problem isn't page specific.

Once the exception is thrown, the UI gets stuck in some endless loop
redisplay the same error page with the same stack trace. So, even the
error page is throwing the exception.

I haven't made any modifications to the UI outside of the
builder.properties file. I've tried running the UI on both Tomcat 5.5
and 4.x and get the same behavior. I just downloaded the UI from the
website yesterday.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
steve

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: ServletException in '/WEB-INF/jsp/
body.jsp': ServletException in '/WEB-INF/jsp/subheader.jsp':
ServletException in '/WEB-INF/jsp/dynamicTile.jsp': ServletException in
'/WEB-INF/jsp/subjectView.jsp': [B at
org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag$InsertHandler.doEndTag
(InsertTag.java:921) at
org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:460) at
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.template_jsp._jspx_meth_tiles_insert_2
(org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.template_jsp:434) at
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.template_jsp._jspService
(org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.template_jsp:171) at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802) at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service
(JspServletWrapper.java:332) at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java: 314)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java: 264) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke
(ApplicationDispatcher.java:672) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest
(ApplicationDispatcher.java:463) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward
(ApplicationDispatcher.java:398) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward
(ApplicationDispatcher.java:301) at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward
(RequestProcessor.java:1056) at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.doForward
(TilesRequestProcessor.java:261) at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processTilesDefinition
(TilesRequestProcessor.java:237) at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processForwardConfig
(TilesRequestProcessor.java:300) at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process
(RequestProcessor.java:231) at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java: 1164)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet (ActionServlet.java:397)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service (HttpServlet.java:689) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service (HttpServlet.java:802) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.ui.LoginCheckFilter.doFilter
(LoginCheckFilter.java:167) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
(StandardWrapperValve.java:204) at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke
(StandardContextValve.java:178) at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke
(AuthenticatorBase.java:432) at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke
(StandardHostValve.java:126) at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke
(ErrorReportValve.java:105) at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke
(StandardEngineValve.java:107) at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service
(CoyoteAdapter.java:148) at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
869) at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java: 667)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket
(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527) at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt
(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80) at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run
(ThreadPool.java:684) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing