grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] group attributes

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] group attributes

  • From: Will Norris <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] group attributes
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:37:05 -0700

On Jul 27, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Tom Barton wrote:
Will Norris wrote:
I vaguely remember talk of adding arbitrary attributes to a group that could then be used by a provisioning connector for various purposes. For example, defining an eduPersonEntitlement for a group so that a custom provisioning connector could push that entitlement out to all group members in LDAP. Is this implemented in the API and/or the UI?

The other I day I wrote the following, which I think applies as well to your question:

Yes. I have on my todo list to write a page for the wiki about to how use the XML import tool to load the definitions of custom group types and attributes into your Groups Registry, but once they're there you can manage them in the UI (and in the API, of course). The 2nd part of the tutorial <http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/ groups/grouper/grouper-1.0-RC1/tutorial/UI-help.html> shows you how.

And for the impatient (and aren't we all?), you can look at the <metadata> element in quickstart.xml to see how some custom types and attributes are declared in XML. Basically, follow that example and import your custom extensions using "ant xml-import" (see the XML Import-Export tool wiki page for usage details). There's a version of this metadata at <https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/ download/attachments/1998/metadata.xml>.

Thanks Tom. Is it possible to for an attribute to be multivalued, or will I need to use a delimiter?

-will