grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] grouper in the AWS cloud
Subject: Grouper Developers Forum
- From: Jim Fox <>
- To: "" <>
- Subject: [grouper-dev] grouper in the AWS cloud
- Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:16:24 -0800 (PST)
I've been experimenting with an instance of our group service in the Amazon
cloud. Thus far:
Aurora DB: postgres compatible database
- db.r4.large instance. This the entry level, but larger than our present
in-house db host.
EC2 app server
- ubuntu-18, tomcat-8, openjdk-11, apache-2.4
- t3.large instance. Similar to what we use now.
As yet this is the Grouper API with our front-end. If I have time I'll try
the Grouper UI as well.
The only problem I encountered is that javax.xml.bind is no longer provided
by the JDK (as of version 10 or 11). And as far as I can determine, older
versions of the JDK are soon to be unavailable, unsupported, or expensive.
Fortunately, the necessary jaxb jars are on maven.
It works well, and seems to be quite a bit faster than our production system.
Monthly cost is mostly the DB, around $140 for each instance: one master DB
and however many read DBs we'd use. Don't actually know how that compares
with what we spend now. I'll note that the Aurora DB is nearly effortless to
put together and comes with a lot of tools.
- [grouper-dev] grouper in the AWS cloud, Jim Fox, 01/11/2019
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.