grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Change Log consumer with respect to PIT data

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Change Log consumer with respect to PIT data

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: Shilen Patel <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Change Log consumer with respect to PIT data
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 18:36:25 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Authentication-results-original: spf=none (sender IP is ) ;
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Shilen,

RE: "Also the PIT data doesn’t keep track of group name changes when renames
are done. "
Great to know. So my "key into PIT" being the name (String form of
path) is generally a bad idea. And I bet that is likely most of my issue.
I will move to using the ID and see how that works out. ( I am
guessing this will solve my issue. Time will tell.)

As a further comment. On the topic.
Having N "names" for an object is good, and also confusing to
users as well as developers.
Id() = guid for the object
name() = fully qualified folder structure back to
the root of the repo.
( also referred to as "path" in some doc/UI
places )
AlternateName() = previous "name()" value
DisplayName() = English alias for the object
extentionDisplayName() = terminal portion (node?) of
the name()

Knowing that the rule is:
"Luke, use the ID. Use the ID!"
Can avoid others from falling into this trap(Dark
side of using one of the other forms of identifiers for grouper objects in
the API layer) too.
And maybe that is why I had to write that method for
myself. Maybe there already is one based on the "ID" values. And that looked
to me to be "This is not the method you are looking for.". ( I will have to
look again.)

RE: " It’ll (PIT data) just know about the current name or the name at the
time of deletion. "
Uh... "current name" changes over time and PIT generally does not
track those changes.
So I think you are saying that the PIT "name data" is not managed in
a PIT way?
AKA: PIT names are limited to a single value at all times?
That name will be the value "at create" and/or "at delete" times.
Is that correct? ( If so, very good to know that
feature/design detail of PIT data.)

--
Carey Matthew