grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] UI customizations ( best practice / current design? )

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] UI customizations ( best practice / current design? )

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] UI customizations ( best practice / current design? )
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 21:18:05 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:qXe4EhxoZaP9dlvXCy+O+j09IxM/srCxBDY+r6Qd0uMQIJqq85mqBkHD//Il1AaPBtqLra8cw8Pt8IneGkU4qa6bt34DdJEeHzQksu4x2zIaPcieFEfgJ+TrZSFpVO5LVVti4m3peRMNQJW2NBXupSj44iQVBw3yL095K/rdG4jOgt6x2vzovZDffk8A0DWnZq5qIQ/zoQjPnsgQnYZ4LKstkF3ErmYeKMpMwmY9b3iXlh3/oo+b9YRu4mx1/bhpo8REWK75Of1iFpRfFylgPmwosp64/SLfRBeCsyNPGl4dlQBFVlDI
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

I am looking for a general overview for "How to best customize the Grouper UI
(new)" so that you don't paint yourself into a corner for the next
upgrade/patch.
I know that the "upgrade" condition is a bit of a crystal ball type
question, but is there a plan for how someone can at least survive an "patch"
process without losing customizations?

Is there any guidelines or advice on the general topic?

Specifically , I am ok with using some of the localization tools to "adjust
text". But there are some more structural things that I would love to move
around too.
Example: I want to move at least some (if not all) of the "Loader"
functions from the "grouperLoaderViewMoreActionsButton" up to the
"groupViewMoreActionsButton".
I think I would ideally want to see a "sub section" on the
"groupViewMoreActionsButton" that would be the full list of items on the
"grouperLoaderViewMoreActionsButton". ( Plus the "Run Loader Diagnostics"
button function too.)
And the "sub section" would be guarded by the same
permissions as the "Loader jobs". ( So not every user would see the
sub-section.)
I find the separation of these functions into different
buttons almost as "jarring" as switching between the New UI and the Lite
UI/Admin UI.

--
Carey Matthew