grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Notes and Action Items: Grouper Call of 9-March-2016

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Notes and Action Items: Grouper Call of 9-March-2016

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Notes and Action Items: Grouper Call of 9-March-2016
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 12:34:43 -0500

Hi,

> MYSQL UTF8 issue
>
> https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/mysql-utf8mb4
>
> There are cases where things don’t work
>
> Chris suggests we change documentation to recommend utf8mb4
>
> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-unicode-utf8mb4.html
>
> Suggestion to use this utf8mb4 approach in testing to be sure it works
> before
> we recommend it.

My testing with Grouper 2.2.2 shows that one cannot yet
recommend the use of utf8mb4 and for now the Grouper project
should recommend for MySQL/MariaDB

character-set-server = utf8
collation-server = utf8_bin

The reason is explained in this StackOverflow post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1814532/1071-specified-key-was-too-long-max-key-length-is-767-bytes

In short, the database engines in MySQL/MariaDB that support
transactions have limitations on the length of prefixes for
indices. For InnoDB and XtraDB, the prefix is limited to 767
bytes. When using utf8mb4, where 4 bytes are used instead of
2, the prefixes used for some Grouper tables are too long.

If somebody finds otherwise, please let me know. For now I am
deploying Grouper using

character-set-server = utf8
collation-server = utf8_bin

when using MySQL/MariaDB as the backend.

Thanks,

Scott K