grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] Security alert in Grouper WS : RE: [grouper-users] Question on get grouper privileges lite

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] Security alert in Grouper WS : RE: [grouper-users] Question on get grouper privileges lite

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tim Darby <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] Security alert in Grouper WS : RE: [grouper-users] Question on get grouper privileges lite
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 23:30:10 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Tim has uncovered a security problem in Grouper WS.  The issue allows unprivileged users to see grouper privileges on folders and for ADMIN users on groups.  If you have this set in the grouper-ws.properties (or some other way to limit who has access to WS), it will limit the exposure:

ws.client.user.group.name

This affects all versions of Grouper WS: 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1.  There is a patch that is tested to work for all versions, that you can apply to WS without an upgrade.  This should be a low risk patch, and hopefully not to difficult to apply.  As people apply it, maybe they can share experiences.

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Bug+GRP-923+WS+getGrouperPrivilegesLite+can+return+more+data+than+the+user+should+be+able+to+see

Sorry for the inconvenience.