grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Additional change log events for group deletion

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Additional change log events for group deletion

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Peter DiCamillo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Additional change log events for group deletion
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 03:52:34 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Good catch, I opened a Jira about this:

[]
on behalf of Peter DiCamillo
[]
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:29 PM

At Brown we're using group types to indicate which systems need to be
provisioned with a given group. For example, we have a type
"GoogleGroup" which is assigned to groups we want to provision into
Google Groups. We've started to work on doing that provisioning in near
real-time using the change log. When we get a group type assign event,
we create the group in the corresponding system. For group membership
changes, we can lookup the types for the group and determine which
systems are affected. For a group type unassign event we delete the
group in the corresponding system. The only problem I've found is that
when a group is deleted, we have no way of knowing which systems are
affected. Since the group has been deleted, the change log consumer has
no way to determine which types it had.

I've experimented with a solution where the group deletion code
generates group type unassign events for the types a group has before
deleting the group. That works well for my needs, and I attached the svn
diff for the code change. Could something along those lines be included
in Grouper, or maybe some other solution?

Peter