Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 20-July-2011

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

[grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 20-July-2011

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 20-July-2011
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:18:21 -0400

Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 20-July-2011


Tom Barton, University of Chicago (chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania 
Shilen Patel, Duke
Lynn Garrison, Penn State
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

**** Grouper 2.0: Code freeze on Friday, July 22, Release on Wed., August 3 *****

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) will talk with uPortal folks about Grouper uPortal integration, and will keep Jean Marie in the loop. 

[AI] (Chris) will investigate putting the OpenConext Teams UI on the Grouper demo site. 

[AI] (Gary) will address the Admin UI privilege issue (JIRA 608) if his time allows  

[AI] (Everyone) provide information on the Grouper 2.0 highlights wiki page.

[AI] (Chris) will implement member search and sort in the Lite UI  

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (TomZ and Chris) will discuss/work on LDAP Grouper Loader for importing groups. JIRA 442  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

Reminder:   Agendize Grouper UI strategy

**** Grouper 2.0: Code freeze on Friday, July 22, Release on Wed., August 3 *****


Grouper Survey 

  • The Grouper survey was open June 22 - July 13, 2011
  • Thanks to all who participated.
  • The survey is closed and results are being compiled.
  • 120 participants started the survey; 69 completed the survey
  • A report will be available in August, linked from the Grouper website.
  • TomB commented that there is increasing discussion about Grouper in many contexts and forums.

Grouper 2.0 Release

  • Real-time provisioning will not be ready for the planned code freeze on Friday July 22
  • Time to work on real-time provisioning has been somewhat limited, due to factors that should change in the future.
  • Probably doesn't make sense to push back the Grouper 2.0 code freeze and release dates 
  • Instead, include real-time provisioning in the Grouper 2.1 release planned for October.
  • For the Grouper 2.0 release, TomZ can finish up other fixes, which will improve the speed of provisioning
  • TomZ will also undo some of the changes that would require changes in config files
  • Downside of NOT including real-time provisioning in 2.0, is that every time we do a release, we are asking campuses to upgrade again.
  • Can mitigate this by clearly stating in the announcement of the Grouper 2.0 release that Grouper 2.1 is coming with real-time provisioning in October timeframe.
  • It is possible that the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 will be relatively minor (requiring a new jar and some config changes), will not require a change to the database.
  • It was acknowledged that real-time provisioning is a very high priority for PSU. 
  • PSU plans to transition to Grouper by end of the year.

Grouper 2.0 Issues Review

  • Shilen reported that for namespace transition, much of the work is done and will be included with the Grouper 2.0 release.
  • Adding an option to copy attributes when a stem is copied will be ready with Grouper 2.1
  • Chris is working on the web services changes for  allow / deny and limits.
  • A few other minor issues assigned to Chris will be deferred until the Grouper  2.1 release
  • Shilen will work on performance benchmarks for the Grouper 2.0 release.
  • The highlights page at is the first step in creating announcement documentation for the Grouper 2.0 release.
  • TomZ will add some additional details to the page by Friday.
  • These wiki pages are also important in preparing the release:

  • Chris will test MySQL, UNIX, and Windows 
  • Shilen will test Oracle
  • TomZ will test  Postgres
  • Gary will test HSQDL 

  • Shilen will work on upgrade instructions, starting with the wiki on upgrading to Grouper 1.7.

  • Subject search and sort requires additional steps affecting XML
  • The API for LDAPPC is separate (involves 14 new jars)
  • LDAPPC includes Grouper provisioning, but not exclusively so, it's the "swiss army knife" of connectors
  • Need to add LDAPPC to the list of packages

Q: Do build scripts need tweaking?

A: They worked when we  deployed Grouper 2.0 to the demo server

May need a build script for LDAPPC NG.

Next Call: Wed. August 3, at noon ET

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Visit our website:
Follow us on Twitter:
Become a Fan on Facebook:


  • [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 20-July-2011, Emily Eisbruch, 07/25/2011

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page