Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 22-June-2011

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

[grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 22-June-2011

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 22-June-2011
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:54:17 -0400

Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 22-June-2011


Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania (stand-in chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe 
**** Grouper 2.0 Release: Code freeze on Friday, July 8 *****

New Action Items

[AI] (All) Please be sure that you, or someone at your institution, responds to the Grouper Survey. Link is

Note: Thank you to those who have already responded.

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) will talk with uPortal folks about Grouper uPortal integration, and will keep Jean Marie in the loop. 

[AI] (Chris) will investigate putting the OpenConext Teams UI on the Grouper demo site. 

[AI] (Gary) will address the Admin UI privilege issue (JIRA 608) if his time allows  

[AI] (Everyone) provide information on the Grouper 2.0 highlights wiki page.

[AI] (Chris) will implement member search and sort in the Lite UI  

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (TomZ and Chris) will discuss/work on LDAP Grouper Loader for importing groups. JIRA 442  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

Reminder:   Agendize Grouper UI strategy


Grouper Survey

All are encouraged to please fill out the Grouper survey at

Grouper Survey closes on July 11.

New UIs 

Chris reviewed the Grouper permissions demo that he sent out earlier in the week.

  • All the featrures of the attribute framework that are needed for permissions are now available in the UI
  • The UI allows for creation of attributes and creation of notes
  • For a permission type attribute, you can assign it to a group (which is a role) or to a membership 
  • Role inheritance is included, and the inheritance graph provides a guide
  • There are tool tips and info docs
  • combo boxes are used where possible

Comments: it looks good!
Would be good for people to poke at this permission UI on the demo server and tell Chris where more help text is needed.

Chris walked the group through a movie on role assignment vs. individual assignment
  • can view permissions for a particular user
  • "analyze result" feature allows you to see why one thing is picked over another in a case where there are multiple paths in effect

Q: Can a user change/configure the algorithm for non-hierarchical organizations?
A: No, because then each implementation would need its own documentation

  • Shilen: It's better for point in item if the allow/deny algorithm is not configurable
  • Chris: For flattened tables, once the change happens, there will need to be a query to figure out all the implied actions and what changes
  • Shilen:  Does Grouper 2.0 need to handle flattened changes for permissions?
  • Chris: Probably can wait until 2.1.
  • There is a permission processor class
  • There is an option to filter reduntant permisions and find the best one or flatten the roles
  • Shilen will take a look at this.

Attribute Framework Issues related to Move/Copy Stem

Shilen analyzed the issue related to move/copy stem that was discussed on the last call. Shilen found quite a few possiblities, and he sent a summary Grouper-core.

Chris said that Shilen's approach is good, better than using hooks.
Shilen will proceed with the approach outlined in his email. See GRP 612

1. Need to add options in the API and UI to allow copying of attributes (excluding rules) when copying a group or stem.
2. Need to fix rules when moving a group or stem.
3. Also need to look at attributeDef and attributeDefName renames to make sure they do the right thing.
Review of Jira issues

There are 53 unresolved JIRA issues for Grouper 2.0 

The group reviewed these JIRAs and made a few updates to them.

Next call: Wednesday, July 6, noon ET

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Visit our website:
Follow us on Twitter:
Become a Fan on Facebook:


  • [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper-dev call 22-June-2011, Emily Eisbruch, 06/27/2011

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page