grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] RE: grouper permissions allow/disallow

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] RE: grouper permissions allow/disallow

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: paccman <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] RE: grouper permissions allow/disallow
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 02:42:02 -0400

This is done in the API/GSH.  I made a unit test that is modeled after all the cases in the document

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+permissions+allow+and+deny2

Here is the code if you are interested… all the tests pass:

http://anonsvn.internet2.edu/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/i2mi/trunk/grouper/src/test/edu/internet2/middleware/grouper/permissions/PermissionDisallowTest.java?view=co

Note, how it works is you can now retrieve all relevant permission assignments, or you can filter out the redundant assignments, or the redundant assignments among various roles.  When it does this filtering (i.e. if you have a few relevant assignments which are immediate/inherited) it picks the best rule and uses that.  It assigns a heuristic score to each assignment, and just orders by this number, and the bigger number wins.  This part is very efficient.  The UI will hint at this heuristic, though generally it is an internal thing.  There is a method in PermissionFinder where you can just see if a subject has a permission, or has a permission in the context of a role(s) and it does call the filtering method and gets the result.

Next is limits… In the interest of time, Im assuming for 2.0 we will just have something that is functional, and we can polish it going forward… J  That said, what built in limits do we want for 2.0?  I was thinking of an amount limit (greater than, less than, equal, etc), an IP address limit (from certain networks), and a time of day limit.  Maybe a string compare limit.  Anything else?  Besides the built in limits, a Java interface could be implemented to write your own limit logic, so we aren’t boxed in too much…

Ps. Note, if you don’t see a test for each use case, then the SVN sync to web isn’t quite up to date J