grouper-dev - [grouper-dev] extremely long running actions in adminUI

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

[grouper-dev] extremely long running actions in adminUI

  • From: David Langenberg <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: [grouper-dev] extremely long running actions in adminUI
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:31:56 -0600

Hi All,

Yesterday, I was trying to use the AdminUI on grouper 1.6.2 to create a
decent size composite group (40,000+ members). The two groups which make up
the members are both composite groups themselves left-hand membership around
60,000 members right-hand an additional 10,000-odd members. The final group
was a complement of LHS & RHS. The AdminUI after about 1.5 hours sent back
a blank page. Checking the group's status showed no members. Here's the
logs from the time period:

2010-12-08 13:15:25,797: [TP-Processor5] INFO EventLog.info(141) - < davel
session: start (2ms)
2010-12-08 14:54:58,505: [TP-Processor1] ERROR
GrouperCapableAction.execute(?) - < davel java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Grouper session subject is null, probably since it is stopped. Dont use it
anymore, start another,,group name:
uc:applications:mail_forwarding:authorized, compositeType: complement, left
group name: uc:applications:mail_forwarding:eligible, right group name:
uc:applications:mail_forwarding:deny,

I eventually got it working using GSH, but was wondering if this kind of
error is known? If so, are there any plans to augment the admin UI to tell
the user that their request is too large/long running?

Thanks,

Dave

David Langenberg
Identity Management