grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Rob Hebron <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.6.1 UI membership list sorting
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:57:31 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a wiki on my proposal... comments welcome:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Subject+improvements+in+Grouper

New member columns:

1) The member table also needs the subject source id.

2) I think we need columns for searches also

sort_string_1
sort_string_2
search_string_1
search_string_2

so one could search for members who are in a branch campus, for example.

3) Extend the Source class with?

String getSortAttribute(int n);
String getSearchAttribute(int n);

so you could update the member table with something like

sort_string_1 =
subject.getAttributeValue(subject.getSource().getSortAttribute(1));

might want a display name for the GUI

String getSortName(int n);
String getSearchName(int n);

4) I don't see a need for the name and description columns, as the
sort and search columns ought to give plenty enough informaton
to identify an orphaned member.

Uses:

1) You mean "As new members are added, ..."

2) SPML may have many uses in the future, but here it is overkill.
Grouper has immediate and easy access to subject data. All that's
needed is to be able to indicate that a subject needs checking, e.g.,

void SubjectHelper.updateMemberInformation(Subject subject);

and the web APIs could expose a similar interface.

Jim