grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Brown's course group use case

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Brown's course group use case

  • From: Peter DiCamillo <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Cc: Jim Fox <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Brown's course group use case
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:05:42 -0400

In the previous mail I was describing the part of what we do for courses that is relevant to ACLs. The full set of groups for a course looks like this:

COURSE:dept:number:term:section:

All
Administrator
Instructor
member SIS Instructor group
Manager
TeachingAssistant
member SIS TeachingAssistant group
Contributor
ContentDeveloper
Mentor
Learner
Auditor
member SIS Auditor group
Student
member SIS Student group
Vagabond

-----

SIS:dept:number:term:section:
Instructor
Teaching Assistant
Auditor
Student

where I've added the SIS groups. SIS stands for Student Information System, and is a historical name. The SIS groups are provisioned using a feed from Banner, and are not otherwise modified (and have no ACLs.) They are the means for including the official registrar's course data.

The purpose for the complexity of the course groups is to allow for the full set of IMS roles, as well as local roles we require, such as vagabond. IMS roles are listed at http://www.imsglobal.org/enterprise/eninfo03.html at item 4.2.3.1. In addition, the COURSE groups allow us to add additional people to the data from Banner. Here are some typical local use cases:

* The roles not listed under SIS are not supported by Banner, and can only be entered in the COURSE groups.

* There are Banner restrictions on who can be entered as a TA, and other
TAs not included in Banner need to be added.

* Someone may have some kind of instructor role in a course, but not be
an official instructor in Banner.

* The manager role may be used when departmental support staff is assisting a professor with a course.

In practice, we could manage with less complexity. For example, the Contributor roles are seldom used. But it seemed best to allow for everything we might need from the start, since it would be difficult to change the structure later.

Peter

Jim Fox wrote:
Just curious, do you have use for this complexity? We get by pretty well
with one group per course, with members (students plus instructors) and
instructors (just the instructors). This is in the grouper registry, and
translates directly to ldap. All our course information come from
institutional data, so we have no admins of any sort for courses.

Jim