grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] federated/provisioned groups mockup

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] federated/provisioned groups mockup

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] federated/provisioned groups mockup
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:38:12 -0400

TomZ, please still respond, but my vision is:

> Will the Target Federated Grouper's Grouper Connector make SPML requests
> (a pull model), or will the source Grouper (gsh) make the SPML requests
> for the Target Federated Grouper?

I think there are three options:

1. Diffs, sent via push, based on the change log
2. Periodic refreshes of groups, pushed by the source
3. Periodic refreshes of groups, pulled by the target

I think we need diffs for real time, and we also need full refreshes. If we
already have the authn etc for #1, then we might as well do #2 instead of #3,
though it shouldn't really matter we can support all if people want it...
Note, I think we had discussed it before, but there is currently no way to
pull diffs from WS...

> Assume that the Target Federated Grouper is operated by an organization
> distinct from the Grouper at the left of the diagram. How should the
> federated agents - Target Federated Grouper's Grouper Connector and
> Ldappc's PSP - establish connections, ie, identify and authenticate each
> other, and secure the SPML in some fashion?

I think we could do web service or xmpp for #1, web service only for #2 and
#3 (since size could be large). The authn is pluggable in web services, and
we should have encryption/signing that is pluggable for xmpp... there will
probably be an easy way and a more correct/scalable way... This would be a
simple web service with an spml payload, I think REST seems like it makes
sense, though we could wrap in it a soap envelope if people want it...