grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 5 May 2010, 1200EDT (1700Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 5 May 2010, 1200EDT (1700Z)

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 5 May 2010, 1200EDT (1700Z)
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 00:11:04 -0400

I would like to discuss what happens when a change log consumer has an error
on a record.

When Oracle replication has errors it halts everything (and it queues up)
until someone fixes it (at least, that is how I have experienced it).

Do we want the same thing to happen here? If the temp change log daemon has
an error, no notifications will go out until it is fixed. If 1 change log
consumer has an error, then it doesn't affect other change log consumers, but
no events will go out for that one until it is resolved.

I could picture a system where errors are logged (and notified?) and
processing continues. The system that is getting notified might miss a
group_create, then get some add_members to that group, but maybe it should be
designed such that an add_member to a group which isn't in the system causes
it to go back to grouper WS to get the details for the group.

Anyways, should this be configurable? Is the way it is ok? Well, Im not
sure we have time to change this behavior for 1.6, but just thought I would
throw this out there...