grouper-dev - Grouper Kim Connector done with first pass

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Grouper Kim Connector done with first pass

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Grouper Kim Connector done with first pass
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:45:28 -0500

Hey,

The connector which delegates from Kuali Rice KIM (Identity management) to Grouper for its groups service and groupsUpdate service is done (first pass).

It is thoroughly unit tested (each of the 30 method implementations has a unit test).  There is good logging.  It works from SoapUI to the Kim web services.

However, I have a bunch of open questions for the rice team, and need to see better results when using the Kim GUI.

Here is the documentation, it is ready for anyone to try if you want, but it does require grouper 1.6 (HEAD) web services, api, and client.

Installation:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+integration+with+Kuali+Rice

Differences between Kim-groups and Grouper (and open issues):

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Differences+between+Grouper+and+Kuali+Rice+KIM+Groups

Design / configuration / logging / testing:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+Kuali+Rice+KIM+connector+design

This effort is useful for several reasons:

1.       We can better understand the two systems

2.       If someone runs both they can integrate

3.       If someone wants to write a Kim groups connector for another purpose, or a Grouper connector from another system, there is an example

4.       It resulted in many enhancements to Grouper which can be used for other purposes:
https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10020&fixfor=10276&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

Will send another update when more progress is done.

Btw, we discussed on the last dev call the uncertainty of using Grouper for workflow routing.  In the last PaccMan call the Rice people said that routing responsibilities are assigned to roles, and groups are also assigned to roles, so it seems like it should work.  That is one of the things I would like to try though (and document).

If you are interested, please read the docs and let me know if you have comments / questions.

Ps. I wrote a quickstart for Rice if you are interested (and I hope to contribute more documentation/javadoc to Rice):

https://test.kuali.org/confluence/display/KULRICE/Rice+MySQL+Windows+Quick+Start

  • Grouper Kim Connector done with first pass, Chris Hyzer, 12/21/2009