grouper-dev - Occasionally Truncated Membership

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Occasionally Truncated Membership

  • From: Colin Hudler <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Occasionally Truncated Membership
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:37:43 -0500

Greetings,

We have an hourly process that reads select groups and memberships from the grouper API and syncronizes them to various places (LDAP, SQL, ). This process has been running for over a year, and evolves over time, as does our groups registry.

A few months ago, for no apparent reason, the provisioner destroyed a large number of members to a large group. About 40k out of 50k members were deleted in the provisioning target. The groups registry appeared intact from the web UI. Subsequent runs of the job corrected it automatically by adding the members back. It happened again in the same week, and we still did not have sufficient logs to pinpoint the problem. It has not reoccurred, and I have been trying to duplicate it ever since.

Yesterday the problem finally repeated, and I found that the API returned a truncated membership from getMembers (it returned about 10k members instead of 50k). Subsiquent calls to getMembers behaved correctly. Grouper did not log any errors, or anything unusual. I am also unable to determine what caused it. I don't have a decent theory, only hypothesis.

I realize that no problem of this kind has ever been reported. I believe it is tied to this specific group (and one other). I can provide more information if anyone is interested.