Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 19-Aug-09

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 19-Aug-09

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 19-Aug-09
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:49:51 -0400

*Grouper Call 19-Aug-09**



Tom Barton, U. Chicago (chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol    
Shilen Patel, Duke  
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn  
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis 
Steve Olshansky, Internet2 
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)   

*New Action Items*

[AI] (Gary) will check in his changes to audit queries. 

[AI] (Shilen) will do performance measurements related to factoring out effective memberships 

[AI] (Chris) will investigate viability of integrating the Lite UI into Grouper 1.5.  

[AI] (Shilen) will think about the membership upgrade process from Grouper 1.4 to 1.5 and make a proposal. 

[AI]  (TomZ)  write up information on the wiki regarding the Shibboleth / Grouper interface.  

*Carryover Action Items*

[AI] (Gary) will update the Grouper source adapter filtering to address the COmanage use case. (Note: this is complete for Grouper 1.5, but not yet for 1.4).

[AI] (Everyone) will update JIRA to accurately reflect the work being done.

[AI] (TomZ) and (Bert) will email Chris their use cases.


*Audit Log Question*

It was agreed that when reading commands from gsh, it makes sense to save the “act as” memberID field in the audit log. This would provide a record of the subject when commands are being run and enable grouping actions by subject. 

[AI] (Gary) will check in his changes to audit queries. 

*Namespace Transition*

Shilen intends to start work soon on the web services aspect of Namespace Transition. He will consult with Chris on this.

*Attribute Framework*

Chris noted that the staff at Penn has been examining the best approach to the their payroll use case: 

They have decided to eliminate ranges and instead to group things with sets.  

*Namespace and Attribute Framework*

Chris stated that namespaces for the new attributes will work essentially as they work for groups. However, this will most likely be addressed as part of Grouper 1.6.

Currently it’s possible to use the same name for a stem as for a group within that stem. This will be the same for attributes. It will be possible to have an attribute with the same name as a group or stem.

For the Grouper 1.5 UI, do we need an icon for attributes? Probably not… it’s uncertain how browsing will work for Grouper 1.5. Not sure if the group edit screen will include the new attributes. 

*Factoring out effective memberships GRP 292*

Shilen has almost completed work on GRP-292. Some DDL modifications still need to be done.

For testing of GRP-292, Shilen might replicate Duke’s database in Grouper 1.5 and add other scenarios.

In general, it would be beneficial to have a set of use cases for regression testing and performance profiling. This could help in comparing performance for equivalent operations in Grouper 1.4 and 1.5. 

Grouper 1.5 does not favor read over write as much as previous versions. We are hoping for a good balance of read and write performance.

Gary suggested YourKit for getting a list of common queries.

[AI] (Shilen) will do performance measurements related to factoring out effective memberships.

*Lite UI* 

Chris has developed a new lite UI for Grouper

Is there time to integrate it with the current UI for Grouper 1.5?

Chris suggested tagging the UI and spending a couple of hours to see if it can get integrated into Grouper 1.5.

[AI] (Chris) will investigate viability of integrating the Lite UI into Grouper 1.5.  

Jim noted that University of Washington will soon have a new Grouper UI ready as a demo for people to try out. 
It has quite a bit of different look and feel from the current UI

*XML import and export*

Are there XML import/export issues related to effective memberships or audit? Chris stated there will be a separate export file for audits, and there will be a choice to export API or audits or both. 

Q: For upgrading, will it be possible to 
XML export everything and import into a new Grouper version?

A: Yes, for Grouper 1.5, it will still be possible to export and import. Chris would like a long-term task to change export/import. When we start integrating new attributes it will be hard to fit them into the existing import export.

Q: Will there be enable and disable dates with import/export of memberships?

A: We will add 3 attributes to what is currently exported and imported for memberships: enable date, disable date and whether its enabled or disabled.

*Upgrade Process*

Upgrading is generally done through the gsh registry task. Can it be done through SQL to swap the data around to new tables? Upgrade has to run before hibernate is running, so everything must be done thru SQL. 

Is it possible to do part of the upgrade done through hibernate? There is a problem reading old data. But if there is a way to read old data with new hiberntate mappings, this approach could work.

[AI] (Shilen) will think about the membership upgrade process from Grouper 1.4 to 1.5 and make a proposal. 

*** Reminder to update JIRA for all tasks related to Grouper 1.5 ***

*Related Projects*

Gary is our liaison with the COmanage group working on a service platform for a pilot demo. They may have a need for a Grouper UI and other capabilities. 

Gary is also our liaison to ESUP Portail  RECIA (higher ed support group for central region in France). They have a uPortal deployment that’s in 80+ schools. They used Grouper to create an application of Grouper web services that serves as a channel into the portals. All group data is available to all portals, and they have been  happy with that.  However, they want a lighter UI.  There is a long term goal in the Jasig/ uPortal community to leverage Grouper for group management. The initial focus of activity is with French ESUP Portail project.

Kuali Rice released version 1.0. EricW and TomB will discuss Grouper and KIM integration issues in the coming months. There may be some work for the Grouper team arising from that.

*Interface with Shibboleth*

Newcastle is using Grouper to provision group info into Shibboleth. 

Should Grouper provide a SQL interface? The group agreed this would be an excellent idea.

Jim expressed the opinion that LDAP is faster when it comes to handling Shibboleth logins. There is also concern about single point of failure if Grouper is used.

Shilen and Jim had contributed some info on the wiki about exposing groups to a Shibboleth SP.

[AI]  (TomZ)  will write up information on the wiki regarding the Shibboleth / Grouper interface based on his recent work. 

Next Call: Wed. 2-Sep-09, Noon ET 

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

Fall 2009 Internet2 Member Meeting, October 5-8
Hosted by the University of Texas at San Antonio and LEARN

  • Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 19-Aug-09, Emily Eisbruch, 08/24/2009

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page