grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] highly available web services

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] highly available web services

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Jim Fox <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] highly available web services
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:46:04 -0400

Yes, that is always what is mentioned as what to do for this.

Here are some more advantages, though I agree with you that replication might
be the way to go...

I think it would add value if Grouper (assuming you need highly available web
services) were shipped as a product which did not require database
replication, since it might not be something the institution has experience
with. I think it would be nice if the only server process Grouper needs to
function in read queries is the servlet container (no DB process to worry
about, even if there are multiple).

Another reason to have an in-memory cache of the data is to have high
performant attribute read queries for privilege management (which can be
complex and high volume)... e.g. does ID 12345 have rights to read english110
data? It could be a direct assignment, an assignment through a role, and
assignment through a privilege SET (e.g. an assignment to all of the English
department), an assignment of a role to a SET, an assignment to a role which
is inherited from another role which the user is in, etc. Of course you
could also benefit from high volume group membership queries, though these
have simpler SQL/logic...

Regards!
Chris