grouper-dev - views in grouper registry

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

views in grouper registry

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: views in grouper registry
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:57:20 -0400

Hey,

Currently we have views in the Grouper registry which are not used by Grouper
itself, so if the views weren't there, its wouldn't affect the operation of
the registry itself. However, we now have a need to use views in Grouper.
Shilen added support for HSQL in the grouper ddl (views already were
supported in Oracle, MySQL, and postgres). So going forward we will assume
the registry runs in a database that supports views, and we will use views in
Grouper when convenient. This will allow us to re-use sql logic, have
simpler queries, and will make the registry more transparent to
administrators. If administrators are going to use the views for their
applications, it is probably a good idea to build a view on top of the
grouper views (that do not start with grouper_ ) so that if things change you
will know since your view wont compile, it will be easy to fix.

If there are any comments please let us know.

Ps. This is for 1.5. Hopefully we can now put a higher percentage of effort
into 1.5 as opposed to the 1.4 branch...

  • views in grouper registry, Chris Hyzer, 06/05/2009