grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] grouper 1.4 performance

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] grouper 1.4 performance

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] grouper 1.4 performance
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:33:47 -0400

I took a pass at implementing the sorting/paging for listing large groups
(e.g. when assigning privileges or browsing memberships).

When I tried to sort by subjectId and page with mysql, it was slow (3 minutes
for a 40k group). But if I page without sorting, it is very fast. I wonder
how oracle would do. Anyways, the concept of the sort limit will still be
needed (though maybe up to 10k once we get everything working in 1.5).

I made a tag to where we were before, since this was a lot of changes:
GROUPER_1_4_20090407

Gary, if you are still here, can you review the changes and test the UI? Or
anyone can test the API/UI if you don't mind so we can make sure the 1.4
branch is still stable. I shouldn't have affected existing API methods,
though I will run the unit tests...

Attached is a (not very interesting) screenshot.

Here is an example of the API. Here is getting the resultSize of an
operation (immediate members), without listing all the members:

QueryOptions queryOptions = new
QueryOptions().retrieveCount(true).retrieveResults(false);
group.getImmediateMembers(field, queryOptions);
int totalSize = queryOptions.getCount().intValue();

Here is a paged query:

QueryPaging queryPaging = new QueryPaging();
queryPaging.setPageSize(pageSize);
queryPaging.setFirstIndexOnPage(start);

//.sortAsc("m.subjectIdDb") this kills performance
queryOptions = new QueryOptions().paging(queryPaging);

Set<Member> members = group.getImmediateMembers(field, queryOptions);

Here is the HibernateSession underlying API (just pass the queryOptions
along):

return HibernateSession.byHqlStatic().options(queryOptions)
.createQuery(
query)
.setCacheable(false)
.setCacheRegion(KLASS + ".FindAllMembersByOwnerAndField")
.setString( "owner", ownerUUID )
.setString( "fieldId", f.getUuid() )
.setString( "type", type )
.listSet(Member.class);

For sorting, you just add that to the query options, but you have to know the
hibernate hql sort field [we should document these in the queries and not
change :) ]

queryOptions = new
QueryOptions().paging(queryPaging).sortAsc("m.subjectIdDb");

Set<Member> members = group.getImmediateMembers(field, queryOptions);

Let me know how it does,