grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] import/export of user audit records

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] import/export of user audit records

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] import/export of user audit records
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:23:09 -0500

Keeping audit import/export separate sounds like a good idea, especially since importing takes long enough as it is (at least for us).

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Chris Hyzer <> wrote:

Is it ok with people if import/export of user audits is a different file (and different command) than the existing import/export file?

I think the advantages are:

1.       The file can already be big, and this auditing table could also be big, so splitting might help us not hit some limits

2.       I haven’t really looked at the current import/export implementation, but I would like to make this one tuned to perform, so you can import/export the audit records very quickly and without requiring a lot of memory

The disadvantages are:

1.       If users are used to import/export being complete, then they need to remember to import/export audits also.

Note: there are no DB foreign keys from auditing to the other tables or vice versa…  though you cant just take the audit info and use it, e.g. you need to dereference member_ids…  and changes in member_id are audited, so you should always be able to get back what you need)

I will be asking the same question about point in time auditing as well…

If we want to use the same command, and keep separate files, we could have the main command generate a zip of the 3 (or more) underlying files… (Java has zip support and this is what we do at Penn to aggregate files)

Thoughts?