grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 1200EST (1700Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 1200EST (1700Z)

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc: Shilen Patel <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 1200EST (1700Z)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:29:23 -0600

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
--On 23 January 2009 09:37 -0500 Shilen Patel

I missed the call but heard the recording and it seems the call finished
before getting a chance to address item (7) in the agenda. Are we
essentially ready to at least begin implementation on this with the
information available at
https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Namespace+Transit
ion?

Yes, please proceed. We can iron out the remaining questions as we go.

Chris, is it correct for me to assume that you are or will be
working on allowing alias support?

Also, Gary mentioned in the previous call that only a sysadmin should be
able to copy/move groups and/or stems when large transformations are
involved? How would you define a large transformation? One that
involves X memberships or Y groups or Z stems or a combination?

My main concern was with moving/copying a stem with 'many' children so that the access/naming privilege checks don't impact performance unduly. I'm not sure where the limit ought to be but it could be configurable and profiling would help determine the limit. I'd try ~100 to start abs see how that goes.

I think there are two different objectives associated with limits like this. One is to manage the impact on performance because of its impact on user satisfaction with the tool. The other is to reduce the chance that the system itself becomes less functional and so unable to adequately serve all users.

Which is it? And does move/copy expose the problem more so than other operations in grouper?