grouper-dev - grouperClient not require valid SSL

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

grouperClient not require valid SSL

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: grouperClient not require valid SSL
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:10:40 -0500

Hey,

If you don’t want to validate SSL, follow these instructions in grouper.client.properties (I put this in the 1.4 branch…  not sure when the next grouper client release will be):

If you dont want to validate the SSL (e.g. self signed certificate) follow these instructions in grouperClient.properties

# to not require valid SSL, use: edu.internet2.middleware.grouperClient.ssl.EasySslSocketFactory
grouperClient.https.customSocketFactory =

# to not require valid SSL, use: edu.internet2.middleware.grouperClient.ssl.BlindSslSocketFactory
grouperClient.ldaps.customSocketFactory =

My own two cents is that if you can get a valid certificate from a CA in the JRE, then  you can save yourself money in the long run…  I have used comodo certs (e.g. positive SSL is $50) and had good luck.  I have also used godaddy certs ($30), and Im not sure I have connected from Java, I haven’t had browser issues.  Also, don’t shy away from getting a long term one so you don’t have to keep updating it every year.  We use a wildcard comodo cert so we buy one and use it everywhere (must be the same level in the domain name hierarchy).

Regards,