grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 10 December 2008, 1200EST (1700Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 10 December 2008, 1200EST (1700Z)

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>, Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 10 December 2008, 1200EST (1700Z)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:22:57 +0000

I agree it would make sense to do this. I`d almost go as far as saying we shouldn`t actually store the full name / display name - this would make it much easier to move a parent stem i.e. you would have to update all the stems but not all the groups. However, it probably makes things more complicated.

If we want the AnyAttributeFilter to still search custom and standard attributes we would need to update the code there.

Gary

--On 10 December 2008 09:59 -0600 Tom Zeller

Making columns for built-in group attributes seems to make sense, we find
lookups by those attributes to be kind of slow currently and we hacked
our own direct database searches to compensate.

TomZ

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Chris Hyzer

Regarding 1.5 work items, the first thing I want to do is see if we can
move group name, extension, displayExtension, displayName, description to
the grouper_groups table like the grouper_stems table. I was discussing
with Shilen, and he thought this was a good idea (correct me if wrong).

1. When searching by group name, you are joining three tables (groups,
attributes, fields)
2. Hard to put a trigger on groups table (which name is affected?)
3. This is better db design... if it is a known field, and 1 to 1, should
be a column...
4. Views etc would be more straightforward
5. Might speed up searches of groups by one of these cols or by attributes

Anyways, if auditing, and notifications, etc builds on the DB, I would
like to get this in first...

Any other DB changes we should consider (e.g. changing
memberships.owner_id to two cols: group_id and stem_id, so we can have
referential integrity)?

Thoughts?

Regards,
Chris

Ps. Yes I am trying to get my money's worth out of ddlutils... :)