grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] What Georgia Tech is doing (missed call)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] What Georgia Tech is doing (missed call)

  • From: Bert Bee-Lindgren <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] What Georgia Tech is doing (missed call)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:20:02 -0400

Tom,

Calling GRS a loader misses that the Grouper GUI/API changes (or goes away or gets augmented and put atop GRS DB) so that the GRS+Grouper system has
-Unified logging/auditing of manual actions along side loader-based decisions (one place to go)
-Ability to define expirations (time or data) for manual actions (member for 2 weeks)
-Ability for loader to (optionally) expire a manual action when the loader agrees with it (early-arriving faculty)
-Ability for loader to not re-add someone who was manually disabled
-Ability to see all the current reasons for a membership... (2 rules (employee and a student) and a negative override (service abuse))
-A UI to see upcoming expirations of grace periods and other timers under control of loader (students keep email for 6 months)
-other aspects not on the top of my head

It became clear in an earlier grouper (?) call that some people feel that this is signet responsibility. I agree that it is closer to signet than historic grouper, BUT we need all this functionality for group memberships. And signet's current position separate and downstream of grouper doesn't fit the boolean (aka group) memberships that comprise 85+% of our authorization requirements.

Thanks,
Bert