grouper-dev - Re: Ldappc performance

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: Ldappc performance

  • From: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • To: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: Ldappc performance
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:49:58 -0500

Oh yeah, I'm still hoping to have a test version of this by Wednesday or Thursday of this week. -K

On Apr 7, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Kathryn Huxtable wrote:
Whilst making my changes to ldappc to improve performance I found two things it was doing that were even worse than I would have imagined. One was in code that I was replacing anyway, but still...

1) It does linear searches through the members of a group to find members to add or remove. This doesn't scale well at all and is probably responsible for Cornell's (and my) failure to get reasonable results when the group size exceeds 100,000 members. This code wasn't going to be used in the new version anyway, but I had imagined they were searching a hash table of some sort. Not so. Unbelievable, IMNSHO.

2) Even if the comparison returns no changes, the code still does an empty modify on the group. Again, unbelievable. Just putting a check for an empty change array around the LDAP modification made it go about three or four times faster through the groups on my test system. (A 3.2GHZ dual-core Pentium4 wolfdale with 4GB of RAM and 1TB of disk.)

Anyway, you should expect some fairly large improvements even if the rest of my ideas don't pan out, which they will because they did in simple concept tests, and they're based on what Brown is doing, which is fast.

-K