Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call - 20-Feb-2008

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call - 20-Feb-2008

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Steve Olshansky <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call - 20-Feb-2008
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:26:21 -0700

Grouper Call: 20-Feb-2008

Tom Barton, U. Chicago (chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol U.
Caleb Racey, Newcastle U.
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Jennifer Yuan, U. Penn
Bill Kasenchar, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
RL "Bob" Morgan, U. Washington
Bert Bee-Lindgren, Georgia Tech U.
Steve Barrett, Cornell U.
Joy Veronneau, Cornell U.
James Cramton, Brown U.
Dave Donnelly, Stanford U.
Steve Olshansky, Internet2 (scribe)

**New Action Items**
[AI] (Chris and Shilen) will investigate performance degradation issues and report back to the group.
[AI] (TomZ) will start a discussion about the potential applicability of the Shibboleth extension framework on the Grouper-Dev list
[AI] (Chris and Tom) will refine the “Groups Light” Work in the wiki
[AI] (UI Subgroup/Jennifer) will offer some corrections to the UI, and some additional pages

*Carryover Action Items*
[AI] (All) review open JIRA items and discuss via the list as inclined.


*Grouper-API progress*
Chris and Shilen reported that Hibernate3 is suitable for Grouper development work, and since Hibernate2 is not receiving much attention from the developers now, and v3 is much better, it makes sense for us to make the transition. There will be information in the wiki about upgrading, for those interested.

Hibernate3 supports transactions for the first time, which is a good reason to make the move. Transactions are important in the web services context to support batch operations and ensure consistency.

TomZ reported on the unresolvable subject removal tool, which will be a command line tool to remove dangling memberships in subject sources. It would be instructive to review the extensions framework developed by Blair, for those interested in developing other Grouper extensions.

Shilen reported that doing searches with Hibernate3 is taking longer than with Hibernate2, by roughly 10%. This doesn’t appear to be expected behavior…
[AI] (Chris and Shilen) will investigate performance degradation issues and report back to the group.

TomZ expressed an interest in learning more about how the Shibboleth project handles their extension framework.
[AI] (TomZ) will start a discussion about this on the Grouper-Dev list

*Call for feedback on Groups-Lite Web Services* <>
The goal isn't REST, it's simplicity. But RESTfulness ought to help. The intent is to characterize an interface for lightweight group services that can be used in many applications for which very simple group manipulation is needed. And it should be implementable by other providers of group services beyond grouper.

RL "Bob" discussed RESTful group services work underway at U. Washington along these lines, toward the goal of accessibility and understandability for developers. It was noted that there are 2 approaches – light on the client side and light on the server side. The goal is to make it easy for the client to get a representation of the resource, modify it, return it as an update.

There was some discussion about whether there would be value in creating a Grouper-specific XHTML schema – "GXHTML"? is runtime schema validation a problem?

[AI] (Tom and Chris) will update the wiki page, and consider this topic in the context of what should be included in the next release.

*Updates & issues from Grouper-UI subgroup*

Jennifer reviewed the UI material in the wiki. They are taking an evolutionary approach, toward the goal of making the UI more intuitive for new users, e.g. to allow non-technical users to perform administrative functions. Various approaches to terminology were discussed, toward this goal.

[AI] (UI Subgroup) will offer some corrections to the UI, and some additional pages on unresolvable subject removal tool

Steve Olshansky
Internet2 Middleware & Security Flywheel

  • Draft Minutes: Grouper Call - 20-Feb-2008, Steve Olshansky, 02/28/2008

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page