grouper-dev - resolved problem about error messages, and source in jars

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

resolved problem about error messages, and source in jars

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: resolved problem about error messages, and source in jars
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:27:30 -0500

Hey,

If you have grouper installed, you can fix a problem about error messages not appearing correctly for create stems and groups by following instructions here (small tweak to nav.properties):

Here is my diatribe proposing keeping source in jars along with bytecode.

I find it difficult when there is an old jar that I need source code for.  E.g. in this bug, the jstl tag wasn’t displaying the error message correctly, so when debugging it is nice to be able to see that code.  Another example, we wanted to change the way the message tag displays, and to extend it, the internals needed to be known (you might need this for any patch you want to make).  Finally, when I was trying to figure out something with the Subject API, and it was swallowing an exception, there was no way to debug and see which exception without the Subject API source code.

Its difficult and timeconsuming and sometimes impossible to get the source code of a jar or API after the fact (especially a few years later), so I suggest when we build grouper or subject API jars, we include the source in there.  When we include a 3rd party jar, if it is something someone might want to debug (this is a gut feel type thing), we should put the source in the jar so it is there for others.  I can keep a wiki of a list of jars that I would like source for, and maybe that can help guide us.  Or we could just do it for all…  some I am interested in are:

Grouper, subject api, grouper-ui, hibernate, struts (including taglibs), axis (there are many, maybe the main ones), ehcache, log4j.

Depending on what percentage we include the source for, that is how much larger the grouper or grouper-ui distribution will be.  If we include all, it will probably increase by 100%.  If we include a percentage, then 10-25%...  Note, that is just the size of the war, it doesn’t affect how much memory is needed, and doesn’t have other negative affects like ability to upgrade or replace them…

Thoughts?

Ps. Yes, there are other ways to do this, like have 2 distributions, one with source, one without… Im just trying to keep things simple and convenient.

  • resolved problem about error messages, and source in jars, Chris Hyzer, 02/07/2008